Saturday, June 12, 2010

Charitable Life Begins

Last June, I had the privilege of donating my time for a great cause.  I recruited my Mom (thanks Mom!) to go with me.  We participated in a community building project called the Imagination Station.  A community-built universally accessible playground.  This project was awesome.  I happened to see the blueprints at a church rummage sale and I was hooked.
What was more inspiring to me was that this was a playground for all kids, of all abilities, and disabilities.  I  was stoked at the idea of playground that even the kids in the wheelchairs could enjoy.  And these blueprints were like a playground on crack.  It was going to have everything!  Since my kiddos and I are park regulars, this was the perfect project for me.

Once we were registered and name tagged, we donned our work gloves.

I made friends with the pick axe.  This was the bow of the boat.  The area I'm in became a sandbox and blue waves were painted on the skirt.  Wishing I had 'after' photos of this.

Showing off my souvenir T shirt.  C modeling in front of his picket.  Each picket cost $40.  They surround the playground, making only one entrance/exit for safety.  The money raised through sales of pickets was donated toward the project.  M has a picket, also, but I don't have a photo of him with it.

One year later, enjoying the finished product.

I have to say, though, we frequent this playground and I have a special connection to it now.  I have the great memories of being part of something big and lasting.  I build new memories each time we go.  My kids get a kick out of visiting their pickets.  Each time I play in the sand at the bow of that boat, a warm feeling fills my heart and a smile spreads across my face.  

I'm hooked on that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment