Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Peas, Tomatoes, and Beans, OH MY!

A few posts back, I shared my Mother's Day Eco- Mission.  I'm pleased to announce that all the boxes have been planted and are doing fabulous!  We've had more rain that sunshine lately, so everything is going crazy.  Have a look and see for yourself!

One of 8  happy little tomato plants.  This one is an Early Girl variety.  I'm thinkin' fried green tomatoes (never tried that one before but it's  one of my all time fave movies, so it has to be good) and plenty for eating fresh or canning for homemade spaghetti sauce.  I cheat and use Wildtree spaghetti seasoning mix.  I just add a little mushroom and garlic ('borrowed' from Dad's garden) and VOILA.  Now I want spaghetti *sigh*.  The boys are chomping at the bit to pick 'em but I keep telling them we have to wait until they're red.  Three times today, M and C ran to the garden to see if they were red yet.  I hear ya', kiddos.  I use mulch made from leaves and grass clippings to help maintain moisture and keep weeds down.  Works like a charm and there's plenty of it.

Here's my bean pole thingy.  I got this as a gift from my Mom.



So, I 'm having some issues with my camera and I'm no photographer.   The flowers are a little blurry, but I get a kick out of those climbing vines.  They make the most unique little patterns.  These are the sugar snap peas


"M, if you eat one, you'll grow big and strong like Daddy"
"No, Mommy, I just want to be M"

AWWW!



*Watching, hoping, praying that he'll put one in his mouth*

HE DOES!!  I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!

*Carefully* "Are they good, honey?"
"Yeah."

Sweet Mother of God, SUCCESS.  Lemme tell ya, a kid with sensory issues and a general dislike of food,  I'll take the small victories.  Maybe it's because he likes the garden so much.  Is there a way I can  grow hamburgers and lasagne in the garden??? *Thinking, tapping finger to head*

Um.  Where was I again?   Oh yeah.



Ye old tractor tire turned sandbox turned strawberry bed.  Shh, Don't tell but I found two ripe strawberries and I popped them into my mouth before the boys could see.  I swear they melted in my mouth like butter.  I LOVE THE GARDEN!!!  

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Awesome garden. I have a recipe for fried green tomatoes if you are interested. I actually got the recipe from the book "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" (which is the book the movie was based on.)
    It's best to cook them in bacon grease. I always freeze leftover bacon grease just in case I want to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is so much farther than mine. We have plants but no veggies yet. Will keep praying that it does soon. Need to weed it.

    ReplyDelete