Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Alien Invasion

Play is children's work. While neurotypical children pick up on social skills and work through their emotions through play, an autistic child needs to be taught how to play. Especially purposeful and pretend play. Autistic children struggle with the abstract. In their world, everything is very concrete and literal. M has reached a stage in therapy where they are focusing on pretend play and interactive play with peers.
Last night, the boys engaged in spontaneous pretend play. What's more, is that this play session lasted almost an hour! This is the first time I've seen this type of play from M without the support of his therapists. The duration was quite extraordinary, also. I thought I'd share it because I am such a proud Mommy right now.


M- "My 'an-lee-uns' are going to school but this one is lost. Uh oh, we'd better go get him!"
C- "My aliens are going to school, too. Come on aliens, let's go!"
M- "This 'an-lee-un' is sick. He'd better go lay down. Gulp! I gave him his medicine and now he's all better. He can go back to school now. Hurry up!"
C- "School is over. My aliens are running away. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't putz around!"
Both M an C erupt into hysterical giggles.
The other day I told them not to putz around and they thought it was the funniest thing ever. Apparently, it still is.
C-"I'm laughing so hard I farted."
M-"Me, too." More hysterical laughter.

Boys. Only a boy would admit to a fart he didn't make. Lord help me. God, I love them.

2 comments: