Saturday, September 18, 2010

Junk Art

Today I went to the Mount Everest of art and craft fairs with my sisters and mom.  I picked up this dandy little Road Runner.  It made me feel nostalgic for that spry Road Runner of my youth.  The one whose bird brain could outsmart Wiley Coyote every time.
Even more fantastic is that is made entirely of junk.  Some creative soul rummaged through garbage, estate sales, and the like to bring home these gadgets and re-invent them.  I think I want to marry this person.  An artist, scavenger, and recycler.  The man of my dreams.  Well.  The man of my dreams today anyway.  I had a hard time picking out just one to take home.
I thought of my Pops when I saw this one.  It's head is a golf club as well as the tail made of handgrips.  A lonely basket has found new life as the body housing 2 golf balls.


My Road Runner has camp mug face, washers for eyes, and a wire basket feather plume.

The body is a an old cobalt pie pan with scrap metal tail.

And the feet are some kind of re-bar type cable.

C took the liberty of generously filling the pan for me.


Our backyard birds get the finest hand mixed cracked corn, black oil sunflower seed, and sleek nyjer.  They offer us song and beauty all year round.  Every day, we watch their goings on from our dining table seated just on the other side of our large windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment